Upcoming Garage Sales
Village revises ordinance requiring garage sale permits for 2014
As of Feb. 17, 2014, the Village approved revisions to the 2011 ordinance requiring residents conducting all garage, estate and yard sales to obtain a permit from Hoffman Estates. The permit is a no-fee permit, which can be applied for and picked up at the Village Hall, 1900 Hassell Road. The permit is also available by sending an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This e-mail address will be checked periodically and until 4 p.m. on normal work days (Monday through Friday). It is recommended to apply for the permit at least 48 hours in advance of the sale.
The basic information needed includes the dates and address of the proposed sale. After staff has logged your request into the computer, a garage sale permit sign will either be issued over the counter or sent electronically to your e-mail address. If sent electronically, please print out a copy of the permit. Whether picked up or printed out, please place the permit sign in your front window so that it can be seen from the street.
Regulations for garage sale permits
- A no-fee permit is required for each sale, and the permit must be prominently displayed in such a manner to be visible by persons passing the residence. If a sale is conducted without a permit, a $10.00 "on site" permit fee will be assessed.
- A maximum of three (3) sales are allowed at the same address during the calendar year (January to December)
- Sales are only allowed on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays.
- Each sale may be held for a maximum of up to four (4) consecutive days (i.e. Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday).
- Sales shall begin no earlier than 8 a.m. and end by 6 p.m.
- Bulk sales, the sale of multiple new items of the same description and the sale of consigned merchandise, merchandise brought to the premises for resale or for reconditioning for resale are prohibited.
- Only one onsite sign is permitted on the front lawn. Signs shall not be installed in the right-of-way/parkway (two signs may be installed on corner lots, one on each street frontage).
- Up to two directional signs may be allowed to be installed on private property, such signs shall not be in the parkway, and shall be installed only with the permission of the property owner.
- Signs are not permitted to be posted in any public right-of-way, or on any street sign or utility/light pole.
- Signs shall not be posted before 6 a.m. on the first day of the sale and shall be removed no later than 8 p.m. on the last day of the sale.
- Banners, balloons, streamers and the like are prohibited.
For more information on garage sales, contact the Code Enforcement Division at 847-781-2631.