- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$49,991/year
- Posted Date:04/13/2017
- Deadline to Apply:04/27/2017 5:00 PM
HOURS AND SCHEDULE
6:30 a.m. through 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday (8 hour shift - 40 hours per week) with schedule subject to change and may include Saturdays and Sundays.
Provides public services to the residents of Hoffman Estates by performing unskilled and semi-skilled tasks in the routine repair and maintenance of Village streets, rights-of-way, including trees, street lights and traffic control signs, storm drainage system, facilities, grounds, water and sewer system, vehicles and equipment using a wide variety of equipment and tools. Participates in snow removal operations. Participates in other assigned activities. Responds to and interacts with residents, employees and/or others within and outside the organization in a courteous, professional and effective manner.
• Ability to carry out work assignments or instructions without close supervision.
• Ability to perform laborious/physical assignments ranging from simple to demanding
and complex. Move, remove, and replace heavy objects; use heavy tools and/or
equipment, weighing up to 100lbs. such as manhole covers, sacks of cement, gravel, etc.
• Ability to keep accurate records.
• Ability to effectively resolve problems or emergency situations which arise during the
completion of assigned tasks.
• Display working knowledge in construction methods, practices and procedures.
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Ability to establish successful working relationships with other employees, supervisors,
and other departments.
• Ability to read, write, speak, and comprehend the English language.
• Ability to perform maintenance on Village assets in confined spaces or with a ladder or
• Ability to learn locations of Village subdivisions and streets.
• Working knowledge tree chipper, highlift, hand tools, confined space entry equipment,
cut-off saw, table saw, hammer, lute, mall, pick, broom, shovel, bow saw, pruning
shears, chain saw, sprayer and pumps. Proficiency in use of motor vehicles; snow
blowers; hand power tools such as a saw, drill and drill hammer; vacuum cleaner, etc.,
telephone and calculator.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Repairs, replaces, and patches concrete, asphalt and other street surfaces; repairs culverts, storm sewers, curbs and other drainage infrastructures; fills in shoulder ruts with dirt or gravel. Trims trees, mows turf, chips branches, picks up litter/trash and whips weeds for program maintenance or emergency/hazard maintenance. Cleans, repairs, and erects street signs; digs post holes and sets or pulls posts; repairs guard fences; installs safety devices and stripes traffic lanes. Participates in building and grounds maintenance and water and sewer system repairs.
• Operates large and small trucks for hauling materials. Completes activity reports in an efficient manner. Remains attentive to Public Works related problems observed while driving in the Village or at a work site and brings problems to the attention of supervisor.
• Operates large and small trucks for system operations and for snow plowing/salting. Work may be performed outside of normal scheduled work hours.
• Participates in a program of preventative maintenance of hand and power tools, specialized equipment and vehicles used to perform assignments by checking proper fluid levels, lubrication, lights, air pressure, etc. to ensure safe operations.
• Operates and properly maintains all tools, vehicles and equipment needed to perform the essential job functions and responsibilities listed above.
• Participates in ongoing department and job responsibilities cross training programs.
• Performs tasks and follows instructions in a manner that ensures personal safety and the safety of others.
• Isolates areas in need of repair by closing valves, assisting with the repairs and flushing mains in the repair area. Hauls dirt from work sites; restores work site to original condition. Participates in the annual distribution valve exercising program; maintains valve boxes and vaults; maintains records of locations of valves.
• Performs maintenance and repair and/or replacement of system fire hydrants; flushes hydrants and performs annual inspections and lubrication; repairs leaking or damaged hydrants; adjusts hydrants to proper grade; rebuilds hydrants and internal operating mechanisms; restores surface area to original condition after digging.
• Maintains sewage collection system by performing mainline flushing and root cutting; removes mainline blockage using specialized equipment; maintains manholes; assists excavation crews for replacing cracked or crushed pipe.
• Performs meter maintenance, troubleshooting and repairs, in-shop testing and rebuilding. Replaces meters and outside readers; reads commercial and vault meters; maintains b-box and meter vaults and records of b-box and vault locations; inspects new construction installations. Updates maps as necessary.
• Ability to respond to emergency call-outs on a 24-hour, 7-day basis; fulfill assigned duty established on a rotating basis for emergency work which occurs after normal working hours including weekends.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND COMPUTER SKILLS
• High School Diploma or GED.
• Six months to one year related experience
(Public Works/Maintenance / Construction /Landscaping)
• Requires Class B CDL within three (3) months from date of hire and Class A CDL with
tanker endorsement to be obtained within six (6) months of employment, if needed to
meet department needs.
FOREIGN LANGUAGE SKILLS Fluency in a foreign language is a plus.
All positions require a pre-employment Village-paid background investigation and
Please refer to the job description for further information regarding this position.
Submit a Village employment application and resume to:
Human Resources Management Department
1900 Hassell Road
Hoffman Estates, IL 60169
The Village of Hoffman Estates is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all applicable Federal, State and local laws regarding employment.
Ways to Apply
All positions require a pre-employment Village-paid drug screen.
All employees must be at least 18 years of age.
The Village of Hoffman Estates is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws regarding employment.
The Village of Hoffman Estates offers rewarding employment opportunities in a wide variety of positions. Municipal government offers people the opportunity to serve the community as well as work in a professional and career fulfilling environment. Explore our employment opportunities often and consider working for a well-respected community.
The Village values employee diversity and offers an environment where shared goals, performance standards and a common vision of the future guide the efforts of every employee. Hiring, advancement and rewards depend solely on ability, performance and contribution to our organizational goals without regard to age, gender, race, ethnic origins, physical abilities, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or other perceived differences that do not relate to ability, performance and contribution at work.
The Village of Hoffman Estates Department of Human Resources Management accepts applications and resumes for all positions, except sworn police officers and firefighters, even when there are no current positions open for hiring.
Your application will be kept on file for six months and considered if a position becomes available that suits your qualifications. Because of the many submissions received, the Village is unable to contact all applicants. You will be contacted if you are chosen as an interview candidate for an open position.
Thank you for your interest in the Village of Hoffman Estates.